Sunday, June 11, 2023

Staying in the boat

“And Jesus if it's You…On the water, in the cloud…I'll be the first one to walk out.”

Those were the lyrics we sung at church today. As I sang them I felt like Jesus gave me a vision. I saw the young, eager Christians in a boat. They were excited to jump out into the water, to walk out to Jesus, like Peter did. They wanted to prove their faith.

I wasn’t lined up. Instead, I was sitting at the edge of the boat, helping the young believers get ready to walk on the water. I was holding their hands until they were steady enough to take the first step. 

I looked up and saw Jesus across the water. He gave me a knowing look. He was proud of me for helping the other believers. I had already been tested, I didn’t need to walk on the water to know his love for me. I didn’t have to prove my faith. And instead of being bitter about these Christians, I was helping them. They didn’t understand why I wasn’t hurrying out of the boat, but Jesus knew. I had assumed my role as a helper.

I returned the smile, feeling secure in his love for me. For once I wasn’t worried about other Christian’s judgment because I was different, because I saw Jesus’s look of approval. 

No comments:

Post a Comment